GETTING HELP > Making a Report

Making a Report

If you intend to make a formal report of suspected maltreatment, please call the Minnesota Adult Abuse Reporting Center at 844-880-1574.  The Minnesota Elder Justice Center is an independent nonprofit organization, and is not able to receive reports for investigation.

Families seeking help for a loved one may decide that the best course of action to help a victim of abuse, neglect or financial exploitation is to make a formal report.

To Report Suspected Maltreatment of Vulnerable Adults
Minnesota has established a central system for reporting the suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults.  This state-wide common entry point is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

The toll-free phone number to call in order to make a report is 844-880-1574.

Make a report as soon as possible:
Minnesota encourages good faith reporting of suspected maltreatment of vulnerable adults by any person. The identity of reporters is confidential and cannot be released without a court order.

Reports made to the CEP are evaluated for need for immediate protective services. Reports which allege a crime are referred to law enforcement. All reports of suspected maltreatment are referred to the lead investigative agency responsible for responding to the report. Lead investigative agencies are: Counties, Minnesota Department of Health, and Minnesota Department of Human Services.

You can also report the abuse to your local law enforcement agency.

Reports on Quality of Facility Care

Office of Health Facility Complaints (OHFC)
When you have complaints about the quality of care but are not making a complaint of abuse, neglect or financial exploitation, contact the OHFC.

The Department of Health regulates hospitals, nursing home and home care through inspections and through investigations by its Office of Health Facility Complaints (OHFC).

Complaints, questions, or concerns must relate to licensed facilities:

  • Hospitals
  • Nursing homes
  • Boarding care homes
  • Supervised living facilities
  • Assisted living
  • Home health agencies

Submit a complaint to OHFC
OHFC can receive complaints directly. Contact them at 651-201-4200 or by e-mail at  When submitting an electronic complaint, provide enough information to describe the situation and include your contact information.  Complaints can be anonymous, but it helps OHFC to know who you are and where you can be reached if more information is needed, and to let you know the results of the investigation.